General Amitriptyline Dosage InformationSome considerations for people taking amitriptyline include:
- Amitriptyline should be taken at the same time each day.
- If you do not take your amitriptyline as scheduled, take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular schedule. Do not take a double the dose of amitriptyline.
- Your amitriptyline dosage can be taken with or without food. If amitriptyline upsets your stomach, try taking it with food.
- If you are experiencing bothersome drowsiness or dizziness with amitriptyline, ask your healthcare provider about taking your amitriptyline dose at bedtime (instead of during the day). This may help decrease drowsiness or dizziness.
- It often takes as long as four to six weeks to see the full antidepressant effect of amitriptyline. Try to give amitriptyline a chance to work before becoming discouraged.
- For amitriptyline to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Amitriptyline will not work if you take it in a way other than how your healthcare provider has prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to amitriptyline or your amitriptyline dosage, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking amitriptyline without first discussing it with your healthcare provider. Stopping the medicine abruptly may increase the risk of withdrawal symptoms.