Effects of Budeprion XLClinical studies show that Budeprion XL is effective for treating depression and for preventing seasonal affective disorder.
Budeprion XL for Depression
In studies, bupropion (the active ingredient in Budeprion XL) was shown to be effective for treating depression in adults. In long-term studies, it was also shown to prevent a relapse of depression. Although these studies used shorter-acting versions of bupropion (not Budeprion XL), it is assumed that Budeprion XL is equally effective for treating depression and preventing relapse.
Budeprion XL for Seasonal Affective Disorder
Three studies looked at using Budeprion XL for seasonal affective disorder. In these studies, people began taking the drug in autumn, before their depression symptoms started, and the medication was stopped in early spring. These studies showed that up to 84.3 percent of people taking Budeprion XL were depression-free at the end of their treatment, compared to 72 percent of those not taking the drug.
When and How to Take Budeprion XLGeneral considerations for when and how to take Budeprion XL include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth, usually once a day in the morning.
- Be sure to swallow the tablets whole. They should not be cut, crushed, broken, or chewed.
- You can take Budeprion XL with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Budeprion XL should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Budeprion XL will not work if you stop taking it.