If Cymbalta is causing bothersome side effects or if the medication is not working for your situation, there are a number of alternatives to Cymbalta. Some Cymbalta alternatives include therapy, other depression medications, electroconvulsive therapy, and alternative (natural) therapies. Other depression medications that can be used as alternatives to Cymbalta can include SSRIs, SNRIs, MAOIs, and tricyclic antidepressants.
Cymbalta® (duloxetine hydrochloride) is a prescription medicine used to treat the following conditions:
- Depression (also known as major depression or clinical depression)
- Peripheral diabetic neuropathy pain (nerve pain in the hands, feet, arms, or legs due to diabetes)
- Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD)
Cymbalta is part of a group of antidepressant medications called serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs). For most people, Cymbalta is effective at treating their symptoms. Most people tolerate it well. However, as with all medicines, side effects can occur, or the medicine may not adequately control a patient's symptoms. Fortunately, there are several alternatives to Cymbalta for depression treatment, including:
- Other depression medications (also known as antidepressants)
- Electroconvulsive therapy
- Alternative (natural) therapies.
(This article describes alternatives to Cymbalta for the treatment of depression. For information on Cymbalta alternatives for other conditions, see: