Although there are no standard dosing guidelines for Deplin, the recommended starting dose of this prescription vitamin is usually between 7.5 mg and 15 mg once daily. Depending on how you respond to this supplement, your healthcare provider may adjust your amount. If Deplin bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
The dose of Deplin® your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The severity of the medical condition being treated
- How you respond to Deplin.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
The recommended Deplin dose for use in depression and schizophrenia is 7.5 mg to 15 mg once daily. Deplin is available in 7.5-mg and 15-mg tablets. Therefore, the usual dosage is one to two tablets once daily. These tablets may be cut in half if needed.
Because there are no standard dosing guidelines for Deplin, your healthcare provider will consider your individual situation before recommending an initial Deplin dose for you. Your dosage may be adjusted based on how you respond to this supplement, and on your blood levels of folate or homocysteine.
Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Deplin include the following:
- Deplin comes in tablet form. It is normally taken by mouth once a day.
- You can take Deplin with food or on an empty stomach. Try taking it with food if it bothers your stomach.
- Try to take this medicine at the same time each day, to help you remember to take it.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to dosing with Deplin, please talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.