Although it is not known exactly what to expect from a Deplin overdose, symptoms are likely to include sleeping problems, a loss of appetite, and seizures. The specific effects would depend on a number of factors, such as how much of the vitamin was taken and whether it was combined with other substances. Treatment options may involve providing supportive care or administering activated charcoal.
Can You Take Too Much Deplin?Deplin® is a medical food used in the dietary management of low folate levels in people with depression, or the management of hyperhomocysteinemia (high blood levels of homocysteine) in people with schizophrenia. Deplin should be used under the care of a healthcare provider, and in combination with an antidepressant or antipsychotic medication.
As with any medication, it is probably possible to take too much of this product. The specific effects of an overdose can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Deplin dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
An overdose with Deplin alone is not likely to cause serious problems in most situations; however, the full effects are unknown. Therefore, if you happen to overdose on this medication, seek immediate medical attention.
Effects of an OverdoseAt this time, it is not clear exactly what to expect from a Deplin overdose. This supplement contains the active form of folic acid, L-methylfolate. Based on the possible effects of a folic acid overdose, taking too much Deplin may cause the following symptoms:
- Loss of appetite
- Abdominal (stomach) swelling or bloating
- Bitter or bad taste in the mouth
- Sleep problems
- Problems concentrating
- Overactivity or excitability
- Impaired judgment
- Seizures (in people who have a seizure disorder).