Risk Factors for Depression
MedicationsThere are a number of medicines whose side effects include depression. Some of these types of medicines include:
- High blood pressure medications, including beta blockers
- Digoxin (Digitek®, Lanoxicaps®, Lanoxin®)
- H2 blockers, including cimetidine (Tagamet®), famotidine (Pepcid®), nizatidine (Axid®), and ranitidine (Zantac®).
Depression is common in people who also have problems with substance abuse. This includes alcohol abuse, cocaine abuse, and stimulant withdrawal.
There are a number of medical conditions that increase the risk of developing depression. These risk factors can include:
- Certain metabolic conditions, like:
- Neurologic conditions, such as:
- Nutritional problems, including vitamin B12 deficiency
- Certain cancers, such as pancreatic cancer
- A recent heart attack or heart surgery.