Emsam and Dry Mouth
One of the common side effects reported with Emsam, a dry mouth occurs in up to 8 percent of people taking the medication. If you are taking Emsam and dry mouth becomes a problem, you can try sipping water or sugarless drinks often, avoiding tobacco or alcohol, and chewing sugarless gum to stimulate saliva flow, among other things. If these suggestions do not help, your healthcare provider may suggest artificial saliva, adjust your Emsam dosage, or recommend a different antidepressant.
An Overview of Emsam and Dry MouthA dry mouth is one of the common side effects of Emsam® (selegiline transdermal patch). In previous clinical studies, up to 8 percent of people taking Emsam reported having a dry mouth, compared to 6 percent of people not taking Emsam.
Recommendations for Emsam and Dry MouthIf you are taking Emsam and dry mouth becomes a problem, there are some things that you can do. Some of these suggestions include:
- Sipping water or sugarless drinks often.
- Sipping water or sugarless drinks during meals. This will make chewing and swallowing easier. It may also improve the taste of food.
- Avoiding drinks with caffeine, such as coffee, tea, and some sodas. Caffeine can dry out the mouth.
- Avoiding tobacco or alcohol; they dry out the mouth.
- Using a humidifier at night.
- Being aware of spicy or salty foods. These may cause pain in a dry mouth.
- Chewing sugarless gum or sucking on sugarless, hard candy to stimulate saliva flow; cinnamon- or mint-flavored candies are good choices.
A Summary of Emsam and Dry MouthIf you have a dry mouth while taking Emsam and the suggestions above do not help, make sure to talk with your healthcare provider. There is treatment that he or she may be able to recommend, such as artificial saliva. Also, depending on the severity of your dry mouth, he or she may also recommend that you adjust your Emsam dosage or try another depression medicine.