Forfivo XL Alternatives
Several other antidepressants are available, including:
Stimulant medications like methylphenidate (Ritalin®) are sometimes used to treat depression when other medications have not helped, although stimulants are not approved for this use.
Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors
SSRIs are usually quite effective at treating depression and generally do not have many serious side effects. They work by increasing the level of serotonin available for cells of the brain. These antidepressant medications include:
- Citalopram (Celexa®)
- Escitalopram (Lexapro®)
- Fluoxetine (Prozac®, Sarafem®, Selfemra™)
- Fluvoxamine (Luvox®, Luvox® CR)
- Paroxetine (Paxil®, Paxil CR®, Pexeva®, Brisdelle™)
- Sertraline (Zoloft®).
Serotonin-Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors
These antidepressants are similar to SNRIs, except that they also affect another chemical in the brain called norepinephrine. SNRIs used to treat depression include:
- Desvenlafaxine (Pristiq™)
- Duloxetine (Cymbalta®)
- Levomilnacipran (Fetzima™)
- Venlafaxine (Effexor®, Effexor XR®).