In studies, bupropion (the active ingredient in Forfivo XL) was shown to be effective at treating depression in adults. In long-term studies, it was also shown to prevent depression relapse. Although these studies used shorter-acting versions of bupropion, not Forfivo XL, it is assumed that Forfivo XL is equally effective at treating depression and preventing relapse.
When and How to Take ItSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Forfivo XL include the following:
- This medication comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth once daily.
- You can take Forfivo XL either with food or on an empty stomach.
- Do not cut, crush, chew, or dissolve the extended-release tablets, as this will cause the medication to be released too quickly. You must swallow them whole.
- It is a good idea to take your dose in the morning, as taking this medication later in the day can increase the risk for insomnia.
- For Forfivo XL to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
There is only one standard dose for Forfivo XL, as the tablets come in just one strength. If this dosage is not right for you, you will need to be switched to a different bupropion product.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
(Click Forfivo XL Dosage for more information.)