Depression Home > Amitriptyline
- Amitriptyline comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth one to three times daily.
- You can take it with or without food. If it upsets your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Amitriptyline should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level of the medication in your blood.
- For it to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it.
DosingThe dosage your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- The medical condition being treated
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
Side EffectsAs with any medicine, there are possible side effects. However, not everyone who takes amitriptyline will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it well. When side effects do occur, they are often minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by your healthcare provider. Serious side effects are less common.
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- Difficulty urinating
- Dry mouth.
- Amitriptyline and Suicide
- Amitriptyline and Weight Gain
- Amitriptyline Sexual Side Effects
- Amitriptyline and Hair Loss.)