Depression Home > Aplenzin Alternatives
Other Depression MedicationsFortunately, there are many medications available to treat depression, although there are no other medications that work exactly like Aplenzin. These antidepressant medications include:
- Miscellaneous other antidepressants (including other bupropion products)
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs)
- Serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs)
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs)
- Tricyclic antidepressants.
There are several other antidepressants available, including:
- Mirtazapine (Remeron®)
- Nefazodone (Serzone®)
- Other bupropion products, including Budeprion SR®, Buproban®, Budeprion XL®, Forfivo™ XL, Wellbutrin®, or Wellbutrin XL®
- Trazodone (Desyrel®) or trazodone ER (Oleptro™)
Sometimes, stimulant medications such as methylphenidate (Ritalin®) are used to treat depression when other medications have not helped, although stimulants are not approved for this use.
Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs)
SSRIs are usually very effective at treating depression and usually do not have many serious side effects. They work by increasing the level of serotonin available for brain cells. These antidepressant medications include:
- Citalopram (Celexa®)
- Escitalopram (Lexapro®)
- Fluoxetine (Prozac®, Sarafem®, Selfemra™)
- Fluvoxamine (Luvox®, Luvox CR®)
- Paroxetine (Paxil®, Paxil CR®, Pexeva®, Brisdelle™)
- Sertraline (Zoloft®).
Serotonin-Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors
These antidepressants are very similar to SSRIs, except that they also affect norepinephrine (another chemical in the brain). SNRIs used to treat depression include: