Depression Home > Budeprion XL
Budeprion XL is approved to treat both depression and seasonal affective disorder. It alleviates the symptoms of these conditions by increasing the amount of norepinephrine and dopamine in the brain. The medication comes in tablet form, and is typically taken once a day in the morning. Potential side effects of Budeprion XL include headaches, weight loss, and insomnia.
What Is Budeprion XL?Budeprion XL® (bupropion XL) is a prescription medicine used for the treatment of depression (also known as major depression or clinical depression). It is also approved for the prevention of seasonal affective disorder (SAD). It is an extended-release version of Wellbutrin® (bupropion hydrochloride). Budeprion XL is actually a generic version of Wellbutrin XL.
Who Makes Budeprion XL?Budeprion XL is manufactured by Impax Laboratories for Teva Pharmaceuticals.
How Does Budeprion XL Work?Budeprion XL is a norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitor, or NDRI for short. NDRIs, such as Budeprion XL, affect specific chemicals within the brain known as norepinephrine and dopamine. These are two of several chemicals used to send messages from one nerve cell to another.
- Wellbutrin® (bupropion hydrochloride), a short-acting version
- Wellbutrin SR® (bupropion SR) or Budeprion SR®, a sustained-release version (taken twice a day)
- Wellbutrin XL® (bupropion XL), the brand-name version of Budeprion XL
- Aplenzin™ (bupropion hydrobromide), another once-daily version
- Zyban® (bupropion SR) or Buproban®, a sustained-release version used for smoking cessation.