Depression Home > Celexa Side Effects
Dry mouth, nausea, and drowsiness are common side effects that have been reported with Celexa. Some of the side effects that are less common (occurring in less than 1 percent of patients) include kidney stones, high blood pressure, and weight gain. Although side effects with Celexa are generally minor, you should seek medical attention immediately if you develop suicidal thoughts or behavior; anxiety, agitation, or panic attacks; fast heart rate; or any signs of an allergic reaction.
As with any medicine, there are possible side effects with Celexa® (citalopram hydrobromide). However, not everyone who takes the medicine will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it well. When side effects do occur, in most cases they are minor and either require no treatment or can be easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Celexa. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Celexa side effects with you.)
Celexa has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occurred in a group of people taking the drug were documented and then compared to the side effects that occurred in another group of people taking a placebo (a "sugar pill" that does not contain any active ingredients). As a result, it was possible to see what side effects occurred, how often they appeared, and how they compared to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common Celexa side effects included:
- Nausea -- in up to 21 percent of people
- Dry mouth -- up to 20 percent (see Celexa and Dry Mouth)
- Drowsiness -- up to 18 percent
- Insomnia -- up to 15 percent (see Celexa and Insomnia)
- Increased sweating -- up to 11 percent
- Shakiness (tremor) -- up to 8 percent
- Diarrhea -- up to 8 percent
- Ejaculation problems -- up to 6 percent (see Celexa Sexual Side Effects).
Other common side effects (occurring in 2 percent to 5 percent of people) included:
- Upper respiratory tract infections (similar to the common cold)
- Runny or irritated nose or sinus infections
- Indigestion or heartburn
- Anxiety or agitation
- Loss of appetite (see Celexa and Weight Loss)
- Erectile dysfunction (ER or impotence) (see Celexa Sexual Side Effects)
- Painful menstrual cramps
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain)
- Muscle pain or joint pain
- Decreased sex drive (see Celexa Sexual Side Effects)