Depression Home > Cymbalta and Dry Mouth
There are several side effects of Cymbalta, and dry mouth appears to be one of the most common side effects of the medication. Some suggestions on improving dry mouth include sipping water or sugarless drinks often, avoiding drinks with caffeine, and using a humidifier at night.
Cymbalta and Dry Mouth: An OverviewDry mouth is one of the most common side effects of Cymbalta® (duloxetine hydrochloride). Studies have shown that up to 15 percent of people reported a dry mouth as one of Cymbalta's side effects.
Cymbalta and Dry Mouth: RecommendationsFor people taking Cymbalta, there are some things that you can do to help with a dry mouth. Some of these suggestions include:
- Sip water or sugarless drinks often.
- Sip water or sugarless drinks during meals. This will make chewing and swallowing easier. It may also improve the taste of food.
- Avoid drinks with caffeine, such as coffee, tea, and some sodas. Caffeine can dry out the mouth.
- Don't use tobacco or alcohol; they dry out the mouth.
- Use a humidifier at night.
- Be aware of spicy or salty foods. These may cause pain in a dry mouth.
- Chew sugarless gum or suck on sugarless, hard candy to stimulate saliva flow; cinnamon or mint-flavored candies are good choices.