Depression Home > Cymbalta Side Effects
Some of the most common side effects of Cymbalta can include nausea, drowsiness, and dizziness. In many cases, side effects are minor and may be easily treated by you or your healthcare provider. However, there are several side effects that you should report to your healthcare provider, including a fast heart rate, suicidal thoughts, and hallucinations. Some of the rare Cymbalta side effects include canker sores, high cholesterol, and acne.
Cymbalta Side Effects: An IntroductionAs with any medicine, there are possible side effects with Cymbalta® (duloxetine hydrochloride). However, not everyone who takes Cymbalta will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate the medication well. When Cymbalta side effects do occur, in most cases they are minor and either require no treatment or can be easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Cymbalta. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Cymbalta side effects with you.)
Common Side Effects of CymbaltaCymbalta has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials in which the side effects of a group of people taking the drug are documented and compared to another group not taking the medicine. As a result, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common side effects of Cymbalta included:
- Nausea -- occurring in up to 25 percent of people
- Dry mouth -- in up to 15 percent (see Cymbalta and Dry Mouth)
- Headaches -- in up to 14 percent
- Drowsiness -- in up to 12 percent
- Fatigue -- in up to 11 percent
- Dizziness -- in up to 10 percent
- Insomnia -- in up to 10 percent (see Cymbalta and Insomnia)
- Constipation -- in up to 10 percent
- Diarrhea -- in up to 10 percent
- Loss of appetite -- in up to 9 percent
- Sweating -- in up to 7 percent
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain) -- in up to 6 percent.
Other common Cymbalta side effects (occurring in 2 to 5 percent of people) included:
- Sore throat or runny nose
- A decreased sex drive (see Sexual Side Effects of Cymbalta)
- Upper respiratory tract infection (such as the common cold)
- Shakiness (tremors)
- Muscle pain
- Sexual side effects, including ejaculation problems, a decreased sex drive (libido), erectile dysfunction (ED or impotence), and orgasm problems (see Sexual Side Effects of Cymbalta)
- Blurred vision
- Anxiety or agitation
- Weight loss (see Cymbalta and Weight Loss)
- Hot flashes
- Indigestion or heartburn
- Muscle spasms
- The flu
- Abnormal dreams.