Depression Home > Emsam Side Effects
Some of the most common side effects of Emsam include skin reactions at the application site, headaches, and insomnia. In many cases, the side effects of this drug are minor and can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider. However, if you develop any serious problems -- such as suicidal thoughts or behavior, hallucinations, or signs of an allergic reaction -- be sure to let your healthcare provider know.
An Introduction to Emsam Side EffectsAs with any medicine, there are possible side effects with Emsam® (selegiline transdermal patch). However, not everyone who takes Emsam will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate the medication well. When people do develop side effects, in many cases they are minor, meaning they require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Emsam. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Emsam side effects with you.)
Common Side Effects of EmsamEmsam has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occur in a group of people taking the drug are documented and are then compared to side effects that occur in another group of people not taking the medicine. As a result, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common side effects of Emsam included:
- Skin reactions at the application site -- in up to 24 percent of people
- Headaches -- up to 18 percent
- Insomnia -- up to 12 percent (see Trouble Sleeping With Emsam)
- Diarrhea -- up to 9 percent
- Dry mouth -- up to 8 percent (see Emsam and Dry Mouth)
- Weight loss -- up to 5 percent (see Emsam and Weight Loss)
- Heartburn -- up to 4 percent
- A sore throat -- up to 3 percent
- Sinus infections or irritation -- up to 3 percent
- Abnormal ejaculations -- up to 1 percent of men (see Emsam Sexual Side Effects).
Some other frequent side effects that were reported in people taking Emsam (but were not necessarily caused by Emsam) included:
- A loss of appetite
- Fluid retention in the arms, legs, feet, or hands
- Muscle pain
- Memory loss (amnesia)
- Broken bones
- Unusual sensations, such as tingling or burning (paresthesias)
- Taste changes
- Ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
- Urinary tract infections (bladder infections)
- Frequent urination
- Menstrual problems in women.