Depression Home > Olanzapine and Fluoxetine Side Effects
Drowsiness and weight gain are among the common olanzapine and fluoxetine side effects. Those that are less common include hair loss, anemia, and arthritis. In most cases, side effects are minor and easily treated. However, you should notify your healthcare provider immediately if you develop more serious side effects of olanzapine and fluoxetine, such as abnormal muscle movements, a large or rapid weight gain, and suicidal thoughts or behavior.
An Introduction to Olanzapine and Fluoxetine Side EffectsAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with olanzapine and fluoxetine (Symbyax®). However, not everyone who takes the medication will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with olanzapine and fluoxetine. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of olanzapine and fluoxetine side effects with you.)
Common Olanzapine and Fluoxetine Side EffectsOlanzapine and fluoxetine has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occur in a group of people taking the drug are documented and then compared to the side effects that occur in another group of people not taking the medicine. As a result, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common olanzapine and fluoxetine side effects included:
- Increased triglycerides -- in up to 67.8 percent of people
- Increased cholesterol levels -- up to 35 percent
- Weight gain -- up to 25 percent (see Symbyax and Weight Gain)
- Increased appetite -- up to 20 percent
- Dry mouth -- up to 15 percent (see Symbyax and Dry Mouth)
- Drowsiness -- up to 14 percent
- Fatigue -- up to 12 percent.
Some other common side effects of olanzapine and fluoxetine (occurring in 2 to 9 percent of people) included:
- Blurred vision
- Abdominal bloating
- Swelling or water retention in the arms, legs, hands, or feet
- General water retention or swelling
- Joint pain
- Arm or leg pain
- Shakiness (tremors)
- Problems maintaining attention
- Abnormal thinking
- Sexual problems (see Symbyax Sexual Side Effects).