Depression Home > Parnate Overdose
Possible symptoms of a Parnate overdose include restlessness, twitching, drowsiness, and high fever. If you take too much Parnate, overdose treatment options may include "pumping the stomach," taking certain medications, or supportive care (which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose).
Parnate® (tranylcypromine sulfate) is a prescription medication that has been licensed to treat depression. It is part of a group of medications called monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs). As with all medicines, it is possible to take too much Parnate. The effects of a Parnate overdose will vary depending on a number of factors, including how much Parnate was taken and whether it was taken with any other medicines, alcohol, and/or drugs.
If you happen to overdose on Parnate, seek medical attention immediately.
The effects of a Parnate overdose may include:
- Anxiety and severe agitation
- Very low blood pressure (hypotension)
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Severe headache
- High fever
The treatment for a Parnate overdose will vary. If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may give certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." Treatment may also involve supportive care. This type of care consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for a Parnate overdose may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Medicines to decrease blood pressure, control an irregular heart rhythm, or control seizures
- Methods to cool the body
- Close monitoring of the heart and lungs
- A breathing tube to help with breathing
- Other treatments based on complications that occur.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on Parnate.