Depression Home > Paxil CR Side Effects
Headaches, nausea, and ejaculation problems are among the most common side effects of Paxil CR. Uncommon side effects include flushing, weight loss, and high blood pressure. Although side effects with this medication are mostly minor, there are some potentially serious side effects that you should report to your healthcare provider, such as chest palpitations, panic attacks, hallucinations, and suicidal thoughts.
As with any medicine, side effects are possible with Paxil CR® (paroxetine controlled release). However, not everyone who takes the medication will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it well. If Paxil CR side effects do occur, in most cases, they are mild and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Paxil CR. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Paxil CR side effects with you.)
Paxil CR has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occur in a group of people taking the drug are documented and compared to side effects that occur in another group of people not taking the medicine. This way, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, some of the most common Paxil CR side effects included:
- Headaches -- in up to 27 percent of people
- Ejaculation problems -- up to 27 percent (see Paxil CR Sexual Side Effects)
- Nausea -- up to 23 percent
- Drowsiness -- up to 22 percent
- Insomnia -- up to 20 percent (see Paxil CR and Insomnia)
- Weakness -- up to 18 percent
- Diarrhea -- up to 18 percent
- Dry mouth -- up to 18 percent (see Paxil CR and Dry Mouth)
- Dizziness -- up to 14 percent
- Increased sweating -- up to 14 percent
- Constipation -- up to 13 percent
- Indigestion -- up to 13 percent
- A decreased sex drive (libido) -- up to 13 percent (see Paxil CR Sexual Side Effects)
- A loss of appetite -- up to 12 percent
- Female orgasm problems -- up to 10 percent
- Impotence (erectile dysfunction or ED) -- up to 10 percent.
Other common side effects (occurring in 5 to 9 percent of people) included:
- Injuries (trauma)
- Shakiness (tremors)
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain)
- Back pain
- Muscle pain
- Vision changes.