Depression Home > Pristiq Alternatives
Fortunately, many medications are available to treat depression. These include:
- Other serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs)
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs)
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs)
- Tricyclic antidepressants
- Miscellaneous antidepressants.
Serotonin-Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors (SNRIs)
Serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors increase the level of serotonin and norepinephrine available for the cells of the brain. Pristiq is an SNRI. In addition to Pristiq, other SNRIs include:
Milnacipran (Savella™) is an SNRI that is not approved for the treatment of depression (although it may be used off-label for this purpose).
Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs)
SSRIs are usually effective at treating depression and typically do not have many serious side effects. These medications work by increasing the level of serotonin available for cells of the brain. Such medications include: