Depression Home > Does St. John's Wort Work?
St. John's wort is supposedly helpful at treating several conditions, but people may wonder, "Does it really work?" Some studies have suggested that St. John's wort is effective at treating depression. However, more research is necessary to confirm these findings. St. John's wort does not appear to help with HIV, AIDS, or hepatitis C.
Does St. John's Wort Work? -- An OverviewSt. John's wort (Hypericum perforatum) is an herbal supplement often used to promote mental health. As with most herbal supplements, people take St. John's wort for many different uses. St. John's wort supplements are often claimed to help with the following conditions:
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Anxiety disorders
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Dysthymia, a milder form of depression
- Hepatitis C, HIV, or AIDS
- Menopause symptoms
- Nerve pain
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Premenstrual syndrome (PMS)
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD).