Depression Home > St. John's Wort Overdose
If you take too much St. John's wort, overdose symptoms may include fever, difficulty walking, hallucinations, and a rapid heart rate. This dangerous group of symptoms is called serotonin syndrome, which can be life-threatening. If you think you have overdosed on St. John's wort, seek immediate medical attention. Treatment may include pumping the stomach, inducing vomiting, or providing supportive care.
St. John's Wort Overdose: An OverviewSt. John's wort (Hypericum perforatum) is an herbal supplement often used for the treatment of depression, although it is sometimes used for a variety of other conditions as well. The effects of a St. John's wort overdose will vary, depending on several factors, such as the amount that was taken and whether it was taken with other substances.
Symptoms of a St. John's Wort OverdoseEven though St. John's wort is a natural substance, it is possible to take too much. A St. John's wort overdose could result in any of the usual St. John's wort side effects, although perhaps more severely. An overdose might also cause serotonin syndrome, a problem that can be life-threatening. Symptoms of serotonin syndrome include:
- Seeing or hearing things that are not really there (hallucinations)
- A fast heartbeat (tachycardia)
- Feeling faint
- Muscle spasms
- Difficulty walking