Depression Home > Viibryd Overdose
If a person overdoses on Viibryd (vilazodone), symptoms can include restlessness, hallucinations, disorientation, and sweating, among others. This type of overdose requires immediate medical care. Depending on when the overdose was taken, treatment could involve "pumping the stomach," intravenous fluids, oxygen, or medications. Dialysis is not expected to be helpful.
Can You Take Too Much Viibryd?Viibryd™ (vilazodone) is a prescription medication used in the treatment of depression. It is possible to take too much of this medication. The specific effects of an overdose with Viibryd can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Viibryd dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
- Confusion or disorientation
- Seeing or hearing things that are not really there (hallucinations)
- Fast heartbeat (tachycardia)
- Overactive reflexes
- Incoordination or difficulty walking
- Nausea and vomiting
- Muscle spasms
- Stiff muscles
If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may administer activated charcoal or "pump the stomach" to help reduce the amount of the medication that is absorbed into the bloodstream. Treatment will also involve supportive care, which consists of treating symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment for a Viibryd overdose may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous (IV) line
- Close monitoring of the heart and lungs
- Medications to control blood pressure or heart rate
- Oxygen treatment
- Other treatments based on symptoms that occur.
Dialysis is not expected to help remove Viibryd from the body in cases of an overdose.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have taken a Viibryd overdose.