Depression Home > Wellbutrin XL and Insomnia
Clinical studies have shown that insomnia is one of the more common side effects of Wellbutrin XL. If you are taking Wellbutrin XL and insomnia occurs, talk to your healthcare provider about treatment options. Things that can improve your sleep habits include keeping a regular sleep-wake cycle and avoiding large meals within two hours of bedtime. Your healthcare provider may also adjust your Wellbutrin XL dosage or suggest another medication.
Wellbutrin XL and Insomnia: An IntroductionInsomnia is one of the more common side effects of Wellbutrin XL® (bupropion XL). In clinical studies, up to 20 percent of people reported this as one of the Wellbutrin XL side effects. This information comes from studies of Wellbutrin XL for seasonal affective disorder (SAD).
- Difficulty falling asleep
- Waking up often during the night and having trouble going back to sleep
- Waking up too early in the morning
- Unrefreshing sleep.
Wellbutrin XL and Insomnia: SuggestionsSome people taking Wellbutrin XL find that improving their sleep habits can be an effective insomnia cure. Some tips for better sleep include the following:
- Keep a regular sleep-wake cycle. Try to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day.
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine in the four to six hours before bedtime.
- Refrain from exercise within two hours of bedtime. Exercising five or six hours before bedtime may help you sleep more soundly.
- Avoid large meals within two hours of bedtime.
- Refrain from taking a nap after 3 pm.
- Sleep in a dark, quiet room at a comfortable temperature.
- Do a quiet activity somewhere else if you can't fall asleep within 20 minutes, and return to bed when you're sleepy.
- Winding down in the 30 minutes before bedtime with a relaxing pre-sleep ritual, such as a warm bath, soft music, or reading.
(Click Good Sleep Habits for more suggestions.)