Depression Home > Wellbutrin XL Side Effects
Although most people have no problems when taking Wellbutrin XL, side effects are possible, such as headaches, dry mouth, and weight loss. In many cases, these side effects are minor and easily treated. However, some side effects should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider, including suicidal thoughts or behavior, seizures, and hallucinations.
An Introduction to Wellbutrin XL Side EffectsAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with Wellbutrin XL® (bupropion XL). However, not everyone who takes it will experience problems. In fact, most people tolerate the medication quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can be easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Wellbutrin XL. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Wellbutrin XL side effects with you.)
Common Side Effects of Wellbutrin XLWellbutrin XL has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occurred in a group of people taking the drug were documented and then compared to the side effects that occurred in another group of people taking a placebo (a "sugar pill" that does not contain any active ingredients). As a result, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common Wellbutrin XL side effects included:
- Headaches -- in up to 34 percent of people
- Dry mouth -- up to 26 percent (see Wellbutrin XL and Dry Mouth)
- Weight loss -- up to 23 percent (see Wellbutrin XL and Weight Loss)
- Insomnia -- up to 20 percent (see Wellbutrin XL and Insomnia)
- Nausea -- up to 13 percent
- Sore throat or runny nose -- up to 13 percent
- Constipation -- up to 9 percent
- Upper respiratory tract infections (similar to the common cold) -- up to 9 percent
- Anxiety -- up to 7 percent
- Gas -- up to 6 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 6 percent.
Other common side effects (occurring in 1 to 5 percent of people) included:
- A sinus infection
- Loss of appetite
- Shakiness (tremor)
- Abnormal dreams
- Muscle pain
- Feeling jittery
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain)
- Painful menstrual cramps
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Ringing in the ears (tinnitus).