Depression Home > Wellbutrin Dosage
The recommended starting dose of Wellbutrin for treating depression is 100 mg twice a day. Your healthcare provider may increase your dosage after three days to 100 mg three times daily. In order to prevent seizures, individual dosages should not exceed 150 mg, and the maximum daily dose should not exceed 450 mg total per day.
An Overview of Your Wellbutrin DosageThe dose of Wellbutrin® (bupropion hydrochloride) your healthcare provider prescribes will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be taking.
As always, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Dosing for Depression TreatmentThe recommended starting Wellbutrin dosage for treating depression is Wellbutrin 100 mg twice daily. After three days, your healthcare provider may increase your dose to Wellbutrin 100 mg three times daily. To help avoid seizures, each individual dose should not exceed 150 mg, and you should not take more than 450 mg total per day. Also, your healthcare provider should increase your dose slowly.
For people with liver problems (such as liver failure or cirrhosis), the maximum dosing is Wellbutrin 75 mg, taken once daily.
General Information on Your Wellbutrin DosageSome considerations for people taking Wellbutrin include the following:
- It usually takes four weeks (or longer) to feel the full, beneficial effects of Wellbutrin. Try not to be discouraged if the medication does not work right away for you.
- You can take Wellbutrin with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Taking the last dose of the day at bedtime may increase your chance of insomnia. If you are having trouble sleeping, ask your healthcare provider about taking your last dosage of Wellbutrin earlier in the evening.
- Wellbutrin should be taken at the same times each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medicine to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Wellbutrin will not work if you take it in a way other than how your healthcare provider prescribed it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Wellbutrin dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.