Depression Home > Wellbutrin Side Effects
Although most people tolerate Wellbutrin well, there are some potential side effects of the medication. Common Wellbutrin side effects can include agitation, weight loss, and a dry mouth. In many cases, Wellbutrin side effects are minor and can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider. However, there are several side effects of Wellbutrin that you should report to your healthcare provider, including a fast heart rate, seizures, and hallucinations.
Wellbutrin Side Effects: An IntroductionAs with any medicine, there are possible side effects with Wellbutrin® (bupropion hydrochloride). However, not everyone who takes Wellbutrin will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate the medication well. When Wellbutrin side effects do occur, in most cases they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Wellbutrin. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Wellbutrin side effects with you.)
Common Wellbutrin Side EffectsWellbutrin has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occur in a group of people taking the drug are documented and are then compared to side effects that occur in another group of people not taking the medicine. As a result, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
Based on these studies, the most common side effects of Wellbutrin include:
- Agitation -- up to 31.9 percent of people
- Weight loss -- up to 28 percent of people (see Wellbutrin and Weight Loss)
- Dry mouth -- up to 27.6 percent of people (see Wellbutrin and Dry Mouth)
- Constipation -- up to 26 percent of people
- Headaches -- up to 25.7 percent of people
- Nausea or vomiting -- up to 22.9 percent of people
- Dizziness -- up to 22.3 percent of people
- Increased sweating -- up to 22.3 percent of people
- Shakiness (tremors) -- up to 21.1 percent of people
- Insomnia -- up to 18.6 percent of people (see Wellbutrin and Insomnia)
- Appetite loss -- up to 18.3 percent of people
- Blurred vision -- up to 14.6 percent of people
- A rapid heart rate (tachycardia) -- up to 10.8 percent of people
- Confusion -- up to 8.4 percent of people
- Hostility -- up to 5.6 percent of people
- Irregular heart rhythms (arrhythmias) -- up to 5.3 percent of people
- Hearing changes -- up to 5.3 percent of people.
Some other common side effects of Wellbutrin (occurring in 1 percent to 5 percent of people) include:
- Menstrual problems
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Feelings of a rapidly or forcefully beating heart (palpitations)
- Increased appetite
- A decreased sex drive (libido)
- Impotence (erectile dysfunction or ED) (see Wellbutrin Sexual Side Effects)
- Taste changes
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)