Depression Home > Zoloft Side Effects
In clinical trials, side effects that were commonly reported with Zoloft included nausea, insomnia, and diarrhea. Other common side effects include dizziness, dry mouth, fatigue, and drowsiness. Less common but potentially serious side effects of Zoloft can include such things as chest palpitations, hallucinations, and suicidal thoughts or behavior.
As with any medicine, side effects are possible with Zoloft® (sertraline hydrochloride); however, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it well. If problems do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can be easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Zoloft. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Zoloft side effects with you.)
Zoloft has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials, in which a group of people taking the drug have side effects documented and compared to another group not taking the medicine. This way, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common Zoloft side effects included:
- Nausea -- in up to 30 percent of people
- Insomnia -- up to 28 percent (see Zoloft and Insomnia)
- Ejaculation problems -- up to 19 percent (see Zoloft Sexual Side Effects)
- Diarrhea or loose stools -- up to 24 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 17 percent
- Dry mouth -- up to 16 percent (see Zoloft and Dry Mouth)
- Fatigue -- up to 16 percent
- Drowsiness -- up to 15 percent
- Indigestion -- up to 13 percent
- Shakiness (tremor) -- up to 11 percent
- Loss of appetite -- up to 11 percent
- Decreased sex drive (libido) -- up to 11 percent.
Other common side effects that occurred in more than 2 percent of people included:
- Increased sweating
- Burning or tingling sensation (paresthesias)
- Headache (see Zoloft and Migraines)
- Weight loss (see Zoloft and Weight Loss)
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain)
- Vision changes
- Hot flashes