General Nortriptyline Dosing InformationSome considerations for people taking nortriptyline include:
- Nortriptyline should be taken at the same times each day.
- If you do not take your nortriptyline as scheduled, take your missed dose as soon as you remember. However, if you usually take your dose at night, you may not want to make up the missed dose, due to the risk of drowsiness if nortriptyline is taken during the day. Also, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose of nortriptyline.
- Your nortriptyline dosage can be taken with or without food. If nortriptyline upsets your stomach, try taking it with food.
- If you are experiencing bothersome nortriptyline side effects, such as drowsiness or dizziness, ask your healthcare provider about taking your nortriptyline dose at bedtime (instead of during the day). This may help decrease drowsiness or dizziness.
- It often takes several weeks to see the full antidepressant effect of nortriptyline. Try to give nortriptyline a chance to work before becoming discouraged.
- For nortriptyline to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Nortriptyline will not work if you take it in a way other than the one prescribed by your healthcare provider.
- If you are unsure about anything related to nortriptyline or your nortriptyline dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking nortriptyline without first discussing it with your healthcare provider. Stopping the medicine abruptly may increase the risk for withdrawal symptoms (see Pamelor Withdrawal).