Olanzapine and Fluoxetine Dosing
For people with bipolar disorder who are beginning depression treatment with olanzapine and fluoxetine, dosing usually starts at 6/25 mg a day. Depending on your response to the medication, your healthcare provider may increase your dose. The olanzapine and fluoxetine dosing guidelines that your healthcare provider will follow also depend on other medical conditions you have and other medications you are taking.
An Introduction to Olanzapine and Fluoxetine DosingThe dose of olanzapine and fluoxetine (Symbyax®) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may currently be taking.
As always, do not adjust your olanzapine and fluoxetine dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Olanzapine and Fluoxetine Dosing for Bipolar Disorder or DepressionThe recommended starting dose of olanzapine and fluoxetine for treatment-resistant depression or depression associated with bipolar disorder is olanzapine and fluoxetine 6/25 mg, taken once daily in the evening. Your healthcare provider can increase your dosage, if necessary, to control your bipolar disorder symptoms.
Some people, including children or adolescents (age 10 through 17 years of age), people with liver problems, or people with low blood pressure (hypotension), may be more sensitive to the effects of olanzapine and fluoxetine. For these people, a lower starting dose (olanzapine and fluoxetine 3/25 mg once daily) may be recommended.
General Olanzapine and Fluoxetine Dosing InformationConsiderations for people taking olanzapine and fluoxetine include the following:
- Olanzapine and fluoxetine comes in capsule form. It is usually taken by mouth once a day in the evening.
- You can take the medication with or without food. If it bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Olanzapine and fluoxetine should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Olanzapine and fluoxetine will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or olanzapine and fluoxetine dosing in general, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the medication without first discussing it with your healthcare provider (see Withdrawal From Symbyax).