Precautions and Warnings With Olanzapine and Fluoxetine
Precautions and warnings with olanzapine and fluoxetine include the risk of developing or worsening seizures, diabetes, and glaucoma. To reduce the chances of drug interactions, tell your healthcare provider about all other medications you are taking. Other precautions and warnings with olanzapine and fluoxetine include the safety of taking the medication while pregnant, an increased risk of strokes, and the potential of the drug causing seizures.
Olanzapine and Fluoxetine: What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking olanzapine and fluoxetine (Symbyax®) if you have:
- A history of suicide attempts or suicidal thoughts
- An enlarged prostate (benign prostatic hyperplasia or BPH)
- A history of bowel blockage or obstruction
- Liver, kidney, or heart problems
- An irregular heart rhythm
- An electrolyte imbalance
- High triglycerides or high cholesterol
- Alzheimer's disease or other forms of dementia
- Low blood pressure (orthostatic hypotension)
- A history of breast cancer
- Any allergies, including allergies to food, dyes, or preservatives.
Also let your healthcare provider know if you:
- Are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
- Are breastfeeding
- Drink alcohol.
You should also be sure to tell your healthcare provider about all of the medicines you take, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.