What Is Pamelor Used For?
How Does Pamelor Work?Pamelor is a tricyclic antidepressant. Tricyclic antidepressants are an older group of medications that have been used to treat depression for many years. Even though Pamelor has been around for a long time, it is not entirely clear how the medication works. It is known that Pamelor affects several chemicals in the brain, including serotonin and norepinephrine.
Can Children and Teens Use It?Pamelor is not recommended for use in people younger than 18 years old, as it has not been thoroughly studied in children or teens. Antidepressants have been shown to increase the risk of suicidal thoughts and behavior in short-term research studies involving children and teenagers (see Nortriptyline and Suicide for more information on the risks of suicide with Pamelor). Talk to your healthcare provider about treatment options for childhood or teen depression.
Is Pamelor Used for Off-Label Reasons?On occasion, your healthcare provider may recommend Pamelor for something other than depression. This is called an "off-label" use. At this time, there are several off-label Pamelor uses, such as:
- Chronic pain: Pamelor works best for chronic pain that is nerve-related, such as nerve pain from having shingles (including postherpetic neuralgia).
- Anxiety disorder: Many antidepressants (including Pamelor) are used to treat anxiety disorders.
- Bedwetting: Pamelor has been used to help people stop bedwetting.
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD): Pamelor can be used to treat ADHD, especially if other ADHD medications have not been effective or cause side effects.
- Fibromyalgia: Pamelor has been used to treat pain and other symptoms of fibromyalgia.
- Prevention of migraine headaches: Pamelor can be used on a daily basis to prevent migraine headaches. Pamelor is not effective for treating a migraine headache once it starts.
- Treatment for bulimia: Pamelor has been found to improve bulimia symptoms, including binge eating and vomiting.
- Smoking cessation: Pamelor is sometimes used to help people quit smoking.