Paxil CR Dosage
For people with social anxiety disorder, the recommended starting dosing of Paxil CR is 12.5 mg daily. Your healthcare provider may choose to increase the dosage if symptoms continue, or decrease the dose if side effects occur. The maximum recommended daily dose for social anxiety disorder is Paxil CR 37.5 mg.
There are two different Paxil CR dosing methods for PMDD treatment. Paxil CR can be taken every day during the entire menstrual cycle or only during the last two weeks of your cycle (before your period). Either way, the starting dosage is 12.5 mg daily. If necessary, your healthcare provider may increase your dose up to Paxil CR 25 mg daily.
Some considerations for people taking Paxil CR include:
- It usually takes several weeks (perhaps even more than a month) to feel the beneficial effects of Paxil CR. Try not to be discouraged if Paxil CR does not work right away for you.
- Paxil CR tablets should not be broken, crushed, or chewed (see Split Paxil CR). Make sure to swallow the tablets whole.
- If Paxil CR makes you drowsy, try taking it before bedtime. If it causes insomnia, try taking it in the morning. Most people take the medication in the morning.
- The starting Paxil CR dosage for elderly people and people with liver problems, kidney problems, or panic disorder is lower (Paxil CR 12.5 mg once daily). The maximum recommended dose for these people is also lower (Paxil CR 50 mg daily).
- You can take Paxil CR with or without food. If it bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Paxil CR should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level of the drug in your blood.
- Abruptly stopping medications like Paxil CR can result in withdrawal symptoms (see Paxil CR Withdrawal for more information).
- For Paxil CR to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Paxil CR will not work if you take it in a way other than how your healthcare provider has prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking Paxil CR without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.