Pexeva Side Effects
In clinical trials, side effects that were commonly reported with Pexeva included weakness, nausea, and diarrhea. Other common reactions included drowsiness and decreased appetite. Less common but potentially serious side effects of Pexeva can include such things as a rapid heartbeat, allergic reactions, and an inability to sit still. If you develop any problems during treatment, let your healthcare provider know.
An Introduction to Pexeva Side EffectsJust like any medicine, Pexeva® (paroxetine mesylate) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who takes the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in many cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Pexeva. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Common Side Effects of PexevaPexeva has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, one group of people received the real medication, while another group was given a placebo (a "sugar pill" with no active ingredients). As a result, it was possible to see what side effects occurred, how often they appeared, and how they compared to the other medication.
In these studies, the most common side effects seen with Pexeva included:
- Nausea -- in up to 26 percent of people
- Ejaculation problems -- up to 25 percent (see Pexeva and Sexual Side Effects)
- Insomnia -- up to 24 percent
- Drowsiness -- up to 24 percent
- Weakness -- up to 22 percent
- Dry mouth -- up to 18 percent
- Headache -- up to 18 percent
- Constipation -- up to 16 percent
- Sweating -- up to 14 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 14 percent
- Diarrhea -- up to 12 percent
- Shakiness (tremor) -- up to 11 percent
- Decreased sex drive (libido) or other sexual side effects -- up to 10 percent.
Other common reactions (occurring in 5 to 9 percent of people) included:
- Decreased appetite (see Does Pexeva Cause Weight Loss?)
- Nervousness, agitation, or anxiety
- Respiratory illness.