Pexeva is approved for the treatment of several mental health conditions, including major depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and generalized anxiety disorder. The medication is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor, and it works by balancing the levels of serotonin in the brain. Pexeva has not been approved for use in children.
What Is Pexeva Used For?Pexeva® (paroxetine mesylate) is a prescription medication licensed to treat the following conditions:
- Major depressive disorder, commonly called major depression or clinical depression
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD).
Using Pexeva for Major Depressive DisorderMajor depressive disorder, sometimes called major depression or clinical depression, is a serious illness. It is not the same thing as a passing low mood, or feeling sad or down in the dumps. Major depression interferes with a person's ability to function by affecting their mood, thoughts, and physical health. People with this condition often find it difficult to do the things they normally did before they were depressed.
Common symptoms of major depression include the following:
- A persistent sad, anxious, or "empty" mood
- Feelings of hopelessness and pessimism
- Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, and helplessness
- Loss of interest or pleasure in activities that used to be enjoyable
- Low energy or fatigue
- Problems concentrating
- Changes in sleep
- Changes in appetite
- Feeling irritable or restless
- Thoughts of death or suicide
- Physical symptoms, such as headaches or pain.
Pexeva is one of many medications used to treat major depression. Nonmedication treatments, such as counseling or therapy, may be used in addition to (or sometimes instead of) depression medications (see Depression Treatment to learn more).
Like other depression medications, it may take several weeks for Pexeva to begin working. Once you start to feel better, it may take several more months to experience the full benefits. It is important to keep in mind, however, that using Pexeva does not cure depression. You may need to continue this medication even if you do not feel depressed anymore.