If you take too much Pristiq, overdose symptoms may include nausea, dry mouth, and a rapid heart rate. The specific effects of an overdose will vary from person to person, depending on how much Pristiq was taken and whether it was taken with other drugs. Various treatment options are available for a Pristiq overdose, including "pumping the stomach" and administering supportive care.
Pristiq® (desvenlafaxine succinate) is a prescription medication used to treat depression. It belongs to a group of medications known as serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs). As with any medication, it is possible to take too much Pristiq. The specific effects of a Pristiq overdose can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Pristiq dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Reported symptoms of a Pristiq overdose include:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Dry mouth
- Unusual sensations, such as burning or tingling
- A rapid heart rate (tachycardia).
The treatment for a Pristiq overdose will also vary. If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may "pump the stomach," but it is not recommended to induce vomiting. Treatment may also involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for a Pristiq overdose may include:
- Careful monitoring of the heart, blood pressure, and breathing
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Other treatments based on complications that occur.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe you may have overdosed on Pristiq.