Studies have shown Pristiq to be effective as a depression treatment in adults. In these studies, people taking the drug had more improvement in their depression symptoms, compared to those not taking it. These studies also showed that a lower dose (50 mg per day) is just as effective and causes fewer side effects, compared to a higher dose (100 mg per day).
General considerations for when and how to take Pristiq include the following:
- The medication comes in the form of an extended-release tablet and is taken by mouth once a day.
- You can take Pristiq with or without food.
- Be sure to swallow the tablets whole. Do not crush, break, or chew them.
- Pristiq should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the drug to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Pristiq will not work if you stop taking it. Do not stop taking it without your healthcare provider's approval.
The dose of Pristiq your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to the drug
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Pristiq Dosage for more information.)