Pristiq Warnings and Precautions
Since numerous side effects are possible with Pristiq, warnings and precautions should be reviewed with a healthcare provider beforehand. Pristiq may increase the risk of suicidal thoughts or behavior, high blood pressure, bleeding, and seizures. You should not take the drug if you are allergic to any of its components or have taken an MAOI within the past two weeks.
You should talk to your healthcare provider prior to taking Pristiq® (desvenlafaxine succinate) if you have:
- Bipolar disorder or a family history of bipolar disorder (also known as manic depression)
- A history of suicide attempts or suicidal thoughts
- Heart problems
- Seizures or epilepsy
- High cholesterol or high triglycerides
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- A history of stroke
- A bleeding disorder
- Low sodium levels in the blood (hyponatremia)
- Glaucoma (an eye condition)
- Liver disease, including liver failure or cirrhosis
- Kidney problems, including kidney failure (renal failure)
- Any allergies, including allergies to food, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about all other medicines you are taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.