There are currently several different types of generic Prozac available on the market. The medication is available as generic capsules, tablets, and liquid. The generic products, which come in a variety of strengths, are manufactured by more than 10 different drug companies, including Watson Pharmaceuticals, Teva Pharmaceuticals, and Sandoz Pharmaceuticals.
Prozac® (fluoxetine hydrochloride) is a medication that has been licensed to treat a number of conditions, including:
Prozac was first manufactured by Eli Lilly and Company. However, it has since come off patent and has been available as a generic for quite some time. A generic version of Prozac Weekly (a long-acting formulation) first became available in March 2010.
Sarafem®, a brand-name medication that contains the exact same medication as Prozac, is licensed to treat premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD), but Prozac (along with the generic forms) is not approved for this use. Sarafem is also available in generic form (see Generic Sarafem for more information).
StrengthsGeneric Prozac capsules, tablets, and liquid are available in the following strengths:
- Fluoxetine 10 mg capsules and tablets
- Fluoxetine 20 mg capsules and tablets
- Fluoxetine 40 mg capsules and tablets
- Fluoxetine 60 mg tablets (which can be broken in half for a 30-mg dose)
- Fluoxetine 90 mg delayed-release capsules (weekly formulation)
- Fluoxetine oral solution -- containing 20 mg per 5 mL (20 mg per teaspoonful).