Prozac® (fluoxetine hydrochloride) is a prescription drug approved for treating depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), bulimia, and panic disorder.
Although most people respond well to this medication, it is possible to develop side effects during treatment. If you experience any side effects or do not feel that your symptoms are improving, you may want to consider a substitute for Prozac. Common alternatives to Prozac for depression treatment include other antidepressants, psychotherapy, electroconvulsive therapy, and natural therapies.
Some of the medications that can be used as Prozac alternatives include:
- Other selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs)
- Serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs)
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs)
- Tricyclic antidepressants
- Miscellaneous other antidepressants.
(Click Prozac Alternatives to learn more about the various products that belong to each antidepressant drug class and for information about the different types of therapy available.)