As with all medicines, it is possible to take too much Remeron. Overdose effects will vary, depending on how much of the medication was taken and whether it was taken with other medicines, alcohol, or drugs. Common symptoms include disorientation, a rapid heart rate, and drowsiness. Treatment options for a recent Remeron overdose can include administering certain medications or pumping the stomach.
Remeron Overdose: An IntroductionRemeron® (mirtazapine) is a prescription medicine used for the treatment of depression (also known as major depression or clinical depression). As with all medicines, it is possible for a person to overdose on Remeron. The effects of the overdose will vary, depending on a number of factors, including how much Remeron was taken and if it was taken with any other medicines, alcohol, and/or drugs.
Symptoms of a Remeron OverdoseThe symptoms of a Remeron overdose also vary. The most common symptoms include the following:
- Memory problems
- A rapid heart rate (tachycardia)
- Loss of life.
Loss of life is more likely to occur if Remeron is taken with other medications or alcohol.
Treatment for a Remeron OverdoseThe treatment for a Remeron overdose will vary. If the overdose was recent, the healthcare provider may use certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." Treatment may also involve supportive care. This type of care consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for a Remeron overdose may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Medicines to control an irregular heart rhythm or control seizures
- Closely monitoring the heart and lungs
- A breathing tube to help with breathing
- Other treatments based on the complications that occur.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on Remeron.