The recommended starting dose of Sinequan is 75 mg daily, either taken as a single dose before bedtime or split up into smaller doses throughout the day. People with mild anxiety or depression symptoms may be started at a lower Sinequan dosage, such as 25 mg or 50 mg daily. If symptoms continue or if side effects occur with Sinequan, dosing can be decreased or increased up to 300 mg per day.
The dose of Sinequan® (doxepin hydrochloride) that your healthcare provider prescribes will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- The medical condition being treated
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may currently be taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
For depression or anxiety treatment, the recommended starting Sinequan dose is 75 per day, either split up into smaller doses throughout the day or all at once before bedtime. Your healthcare provider may decide to lower your dose if side effects occur or increase your dose if symptoms are not adequately controlled. The maximum Sinequan dose is 300 mg total per day.
Some people (especially those with mild anxiety or depression symptoms) may be able to take lower doses (such as Sinequan 25 mg or 50 mg per day).
Some considerations for people taking Sinequan include:
- Sinequan should be taken at the same time(s) each day.
- If you do not take your Sinequan as scheduled, take your missed dose as soon as you remember. However, if you usually take your dose at night, you may not want to make up the missed dose (due to the risk of drowsiness if the drug is taken during the day). Also, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose of Sinequan.
- Your Sinequan dosage can be taken with or without food. If it upsets your stomach, try taking it with food.
- If you are experiencing bothersome drowsiness or dizziness with Sinequan, ask your healthcare provider about taking your dose at bedtime (instead of during the day). This may help decrease drowsiness or dizziness.
- It often takes several weeks to see the full effects of Sinequan for depression. It may begin to work more quickly when used for anxiety. Try to give Sinequan a chance to work before becoming discouraged.
- For the antidepressant to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Sinequan will not work if you take it differently than your healthcare provider prescribes.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Sinequan or your Sinequan dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking Sinequan without first discussing it with your healthcare provider. Stopping the medicine abruptly may increase the risk for withdrawal symptoms (see Sinequan Withdrawal).