You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking this medication if you have:
- Bipolar disorder or a family history of bipolar disorder (also known as manic depression)
- A history of suicide attempts or suicidal thoughts
- Severe anxiety or agitation
- Had a recent heart attack
- Heart problems, including heart disease
- Hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid)
- Seizures or epilepsy
- Bladder problems or difficulty passing urine
- An enlarged prostate (also known as benign prostatic hyperplasia or BPH)
- Any allergies, including allergies to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you:
- Are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant (see Doxepin and Pregnancy)
- Are breastfeeding (see Doxepin and Breastfeeding)
- Drink alcohol regularly.
Be sure to tell your healthcare provider about all other medicines you may be taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
(Click Sinequan Warnings and Precautions for more information on this topic, including information on who should not take the drug.)