SSRI Side Effects
Serious SSRI Side EffectsSome side effects with SSRIs may indicate a serious problem and should be reported to your healthcare provider right away. These include but are not limited to:
- Suicidal thoughts or behavior (see SSRIs and Suicide)
- Anxiety, agitation, or panic attacks
- Hostility or aggressiveness
- Engaging in unusual or dangerous activities
- Restlessness or inability to sit still
- Extreme elation or feelings of happiness that may switch back and forth with a depressed or sad mood
- Other unusual changes in behavior
- A fast heart rate
- Chest palpitations
- Difficulty sleeping
- Signs of an allergic reaction, including:
- An unexplained rash
- Unexplained swelling
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing.
Final Thoughts on SSRI Side Effects
You may experience some or none of the SSRI side effects explained in this article. Unfortunately, there is no way for your healthcare provider to know beforehand if you will have side effects from a medicine that you have never tried. Therefore, be sure to let your healthcare provider know if you develop any side effects with an SSRI. Also, let your healthcare provider know if you develop something that "just does not seem right." While it may not be a side effect, your healthcare provider should be able to diagnose and treat the problem.
You can also read about specific side effects for each individual SSRI by going to the specific drug within the eMedTV Web site.