St. John's Wort
Is St. John's Wort Safe?St. John's wort appears to be safe when taken at reasonable doses. However, some people are more likely to experience problems than others. Talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking St. John's wort if you have:
- Bipolar disorder (also known as manic depression)
- Alzheimer's disease
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Any allergies, including allergies to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant (see St. John's Wort and Pregnancy)
- Breastfeeding (see St. John's Wort and Breastfeeding).
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about any other medications you are taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
(Click St. John's Wort Safety for more information, including any available warnings and precautions.)
What If I Take an Overdose?It is not known what exactly to expect from an overdose with St. John's wort, although it is reasonable to expect that any of the usual side effects could occur, but perhaps more severely. Seizures have also been reported due to an overdose with St. John's wort.
If you think you may have taken too much St. John's wort, seek immediate medical attention.
(Click St. John's Wort Overdose for more information.)