Are These Depression Symptoms -- or a Normal Part of Growing Up?
There are a number of questions you should ask yourself when trying to figure out whether your teenager has depression
symptoms, or is simply going through a normal part of development. Some of these questions include:
- What is going on in his or her life to make him or her feel this way? Think about past and present problems.
- When did this crying begin? Did it coincide with family tension, or the divorce, or problems in school?
- How is he or she getting along with friends?
- How are things in your family, now?
- Are there any other problems or symptoms?
The answers to these questions provide clues about what is wrong and how to help your teenager.
Final Thoughts on Symptoms of Depression in Teenagers
It is important for parents and other caregivers to be informed about the signs and symptoms of depression in teenagers
and to know how to locate a mental health professional for an early evaluation and diagnosis. Treatment and services should be tailored to the needs of the individual teenager. In addition, families may find it helpful to join a local support group for additional assistance and support.