Problems With Trazodone
Trazodone hydrochloride (Desyrel®) is usually well tolerated, but in some cases, serious side effects may occur. For example, some of the potentially dangerous problems that can occur with trazodone include:
- Suicidal thoughts or behavior
- A painful erection of the penis that does not go away (priapism)
- Anxiety, agitation, or panic attacks
- Difficulty sleeping
- Signs of an allergic reaction, such as:
- Unexplained rash
- Unexplained swelling
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing.
To help ensure your safety, your healthcare provider should make sure you do not have bipolar disorder before prescribing trazodone. Sometimes, the symptoms of bipolar disorder and depression are similar, and trazodone can cause problems in people with bipolar disorder.
(Click Trazodone Side Effects to learn about other problems that may occur during treatment. This article also discusses how often specific side effects were reported with this medicine in clinical trials.)