Trazodone hydrochloride (Desyrel®) is generally quite effective at treating depression. However, alternatives are available if your depression symptoms do not respond to treatment with this medication. You may also wish to try a substitute for trazodone if you develop bothersome side effects.
Examples of alternate medications for depression include:
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs)
- Serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs)
- Norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitors (NDRIs)
- Tricyclic antidepressants
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs).
Other trazodone substitutes include:
- Electroconvulsive therapy
- Alternative (natural) therapies, such as acupuncture, vitamin B6, and omega-3 fatty acids.
(To learn more about other substitutes for this antidepressant, click Trazodone Alternatives. This article offers an in-depth list of other depression medications and describes "talk" therapy in more detail.)