Some considerations for people taking trimipramine include:
- Trimipramine should be taken at the same times each day in order to maintain even levels of the medicine in your blood.
- If you do not take your trimipramine as scheduled, take your missed dose as soon as you remember. However, if you usually take your dose at night, you may not want to make up the missed dose, due to the risk of drowsiness if trimipramine is taken during the day. Also, if it almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose of trimipramine.
- Your trimipramine dosage can be taken with or without food. If the drug upsets your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Trimipramine may not work immediately. However, it may work more quickly than many other antidepressants. Try to give trimipramine a chance to work before becoming discouraged.
- For the antidepressant to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Trimipramine will not work if you take it in a way other than how your healthcare provider has prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or trimipramine dosing in general, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the medication without first discussing it with your healthcare provider. Stopping the medicine abruptly may increase the risk of withdrawal symptoms (see Surmontil Withdrawal).