Venlafaxine XR Dosing
Venlafaxine XR Dosing for Panic Disorder
The usual starting dose of venlafaxine XR for panic disorder is 37.5 mg a day. If you are tolerating venlafaxine XR well, your healthcare provider may increase your dose to venlafaxine XR 75 mg a day after seven days. If needed, venlafaxine XR doses might be increased again by 75 mg a week to a maximum dose of 225 mg daily.
It should be noted that only Effexor XR capsules (not generic venlafaxine XR tablets) are approved for treating panic disorder.
General Venlafaxine XR Dosing InformationSome considerations for people taking venlafaxine XR include the following:
- Venlafaxine XR comes in a capsule and tablet form that is usually taken once a day. You should take the medicine with food.
- Take venlafaxine XR at the same time each day to maintain even levels of the medicine in your system.
- Do not break, chew, or crush the venlafaxine XR capsules or tablets.
- If you have trouble swallowing a venlafaxine XR capsule, you may open it and sprinkle the contents on a spoonful of applesauce. Immediately swallow the applesauce whole without chewing. This is not possible with venlafaxine XR tablets.
- If you have liver or kidney problems, your healthcare provider might start you on a lower dose of venlafaxine XR.
- If you are an older adult, your healthcare provider might start you at a lower dose of venlafaxine XR.
- Abruptly stopping medications like venlafaxine XR can result in withdrawal symptoms (see Effexor XR Withdrawal for more information).
- For venlafaxine XR to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Venlafaxine XR will not work if you take it in a way other than how your healthcare provider prescribed it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or venlafaxine XR dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking venlafaxine XR without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.